Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chattanooga Pictures

I’m thoroughly enjoying Chattanooga, Tennessee and the time I’m spending with my long lost sister June (actually I’m the one who was long lost for 20 years in Hawaii) and her husband Scott, in their Ringgold, Georgia home. From my layman architect, interior designer point of view, this is a Metropolitan Home, beautifully laid out and furnished, with family antiques and treasures that span several generations.


June and Scott's Living Room

The three story home hugs the side of a hill, with a forest below that goes on forever. I truly feel as though I did something right to have gone from one home filled with true Southern hospitality to another. In my journey to find home and family there is not a doubt in my mind that I’m getting closer and closer. It seems that I’m a blink away from having all my dreams come true. To my surprise, in this house of treasures, I found some original Dakan Art:


Dakan Art Glass - circa 1978


Dakan Mask - circa 1991

Chattanooga is a clean, rich city. Old turn of the last century buildings have been restored and occupied by cool shops, restaurants and galleries. Public art is everywhere. Walking paths lead you down to or up across the Tennessee River. It is all quite lovely. The other day Scott and I went to the Hunter Museum in downtown Chattanooga, which is half historic country mansion and half high vaulted glass modern architecture. In the contemporary art side I was pretty much blown away with the glass art of Steven Powell. I had watched glass blowing before, but had absolutely no idea how anyone could blend the intense colors together the way Steven does. The video of how its done kept me spellbound for a good twenty minutes. I continue to be fascinated and impressed with the true Masters of Art.




Today June and I walked around Rock City, on the top of a mountain outside of Chattanooga. Rock City has nothing to do with rock music.





It is cluster of Enormous Rocks, that are butted up within inches or feet of one another. Paths lead you between them, in slivers so close that a normal fat person would get stuck. Set Stone walls, bridges and walkways, built back in the 1920’s, connected it all. Growing beside the walkways and stones was an arboretum, with signs identifying every plant, shrub and tree. At the very top lookout you can, on a clear day, see seven States. This day was a bit foggy, so I imagine we only saw three or four down below. Below are more pictures of Rock City.



One of the earth people






Dakan face - 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment